At 08:07 AM 7/10/02 +0900, you wrote:
>My impression is that they are very easy
>to work with.

And when they are out of business? They will be, of course. Then where will
your years of work be? And, as I said, what about your archivists,
correspondents, or clients?

You're a composer; I'm a composer, too, not an engraver, so I have a more
long-lasting relationship to the material I produce. I've also been
involved with computers since 1977, and most (not some, but almost all) of
the companies whose products I've used over the years to create my work are
gone. That means many of the compositions and installations created with
these products have been stored as archived collections -- that means the
computers, the printers, the software, and the interfaces (one is here:
http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/bocca/), and I rent commercial
storage just to keep it all.

But none of these products were protected, because if they had been,
everything I had created would have been gone completely. That's because
the companies, together with their unlock codes, are also gone.

I have always been philosophically opposed to protection because it treats
me as if I were a criminal -- guilty until proven innocent by the my ID
papers. My government can't do this, so why should some collection of
corporate dumbbunnies get to do it?

And along with that, I cannot imagine buying something from Sibelius or
Graphire or Antares or any other company, only to watch the company go down
in flames during their next period of, um, instability. Companies won't
tell you. They never do. And the *last* people that get consideration
during failure are the loyal customers. You will be screwed. Count on it.

I recommend an alternative. If you must buy a protected program, also get a
warez copy. A cracked copy will keep your work accessible, and you can
still genuflect to the company who thinks they own you in the meantime.
Once they're dead & buried, you'll still have your work, and so will your
clients, as you can put that warez copy out there for their use.

I *despise* companies who demand copy protection. I won't use warez copies
of their extortion because I don't want to give them any publicity
whatsoever. My website identifies all the software I use. None of it is
protected, and all of it is paid for -- even the shareware, piece by piece,
as I can afford it. That's how it should be. Maybe that's what being an
artist involves -- standing up against unethical behavior, which is what
these companies engage in.

A company that has to put the legitimate user in copy protection prison
should go down in flames, the sooner the better.

Cheerfully,
Dennis

Malted/Media                     http://maltedmedia.com/
Kalvos & Damian's New Music Bazaar    http://kalvos.org/