On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 10:52 PM, David H. Bailey wrote:

> And when your computer crashes and you haven't "removed" the enabling
> code, do they simply give you an additional code to activate it on your
> new machine, no questions asked?  And how about using it on a notebook
> AND a desktop, so you can work at home, then take it on the road with
> you?  Do they allow multiple active copies?  I was under the impression
> from previous posts on this list that you had to remove the activation
> to a floppy disk (a tenuous proposition at best should the floppy fail
> between one computer and the next) and then insert the floppy into the
> other machine so you could have it active on that machine.

More recent versions of Sibelius do not require the use of a floppy
disk - it's all done with numbers. Assuming Sibelius is all set up and
registered on your main computer (call it 'Computer A'), you then
install it on your second machine ('Computer B'). Of course, the copy on
Computer B isn't registered, so you can't save from it. To transfer the
ability to save, you choose 'Transfer Saving Out' on Computer A. You are
asked for a Computer Number. Now move to Computer B - just pray it isn't
miles away - and 'Transfer Saving In'. You are given a Computer Number.
Type this number into Computer A and click OK. You are given a Transfer
Number. (Note the very scary rubric at this point: 'Make a note of [the
Transfer Number] very carefully (and check it). Saving is disabled on
[Computer A]. If possible, don't close this dialogue until you have
successfully entered the Transfer Number into the other machine in case
you wrote it down incorrectly.') Finally, type the Transfer Number into
Computer B. Saving is now enabled on this machine.

Phew!!! Makes cracking the Enigma Machine seem easy. Fascinating
algorithm though.

Alan Smith