On 9 Jul 2002, at 23:34, Colin Broom wrote:

> [...]

There's absolutely nothing automatic about it.

You have to set up the expressions.

You then have to place them in the score before and after.

And in the expression list, there's no way to tell the difference between
"arco" (violin), "arco" (viola), "arco" (cello) and "arco" (bass).

The system in Sibelius where what you put in the score automatically gets
interpreted intelligently without having to set up anything in the first
place makes perfect sense.

It does crescendos and diminuendos automatically, right?

Now, if you're saying that Sibelius doesn't offer as much flexibility of
definition as Finale, well, that's a valid criticism of Sibelius, but my
suggestion that this kind of behavior would be very handy in Finale in no
way implies that Finale's present flexibility should be *removed* from
Finale.

In short, you sound like you're simply defending the "Finale way" for no
other reason than that you're accustomed to it.

It seems blazingly obvious that the Sibelius way for playback is vastly
superior, at least in terms of basic playback. Perhaps Sibelius makes it
difficult to control playback to any great degree, but that's something
Finale doesn't make particularly easy, either.

--
David W. Fenton                         |        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                 |        http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc