Philip Aker wrote:

> On Thursday, July 11, 2002, at 04:48  PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
>
>>> I hope Coda has finally decided to stop discriminating against it's
>>> long time Macintosh user base in this regard.
>>

>> We Windows users had to slog through *four* versions of Finale to get
>> one that didn't act like a Mac-port stepchild.
>

> <GRRR ALIGN="BALANCED">
>
> You're talking about something that might have been relevant 5 years ago
> but not longer has any meaning. Which is to say "balderdash". I think
> you're not well informed about what's _not_ been happening to the
> Macintosh version because in all likelyhood you're not familiar with
> what's been going on under the hood with the MacOS for the last five
> years and how these changes have been manifesting themselves in other
> applications. These things are apparent to someone like Darcy Argue (who
> has a broad experience on Mac platforms).
>
> The point is that just like everyone else, Coda has known since late
> 1996 that changes were coming and since late 1997, opportunity to stage
> in a Carbon port. Nobody on the face of the planet can tell be otherwise
> because I released plugins in 1998 which used calls only available from
> the CarbonAccessors.o library (i.e. Carbon Jr.) and which required users
> to install the Appearance and Navigation Manager extensions.
>
> That's 4 years we've been waiting for Mac-specific upgrades, not a
> couple of months.
>
> FinWin 2003 is compatible with WindowsXP but FinMac 2003 will not be
> with MacOS X. Yet MacOS X was released well before copycat XP.
>
> That's out and out platform bigotry.

Actually, that sounds more like the same thing that happened when the
Windows users began migrating to a 32-bit OS.  It took several releases
before Finale became usable under the 32-bit versions of Windows.  Its
apparent 32-bit nature under Windows98 was not really 32-bit, since
Win98 still has 16-bit capabilities.

It isn't really out and out platform bigotry, it is more like an
ill-advised corporate policy of not beginning in time to develop for an
advanced OS.

In the Windows case, there were many other music applications which were
32-bitOS compatible long before Finale was, just as there apparently are
with OSX.

Corporate culture is hard to overcome.  It just seems more like bigotry
when it is our personal OS which is NOT being developed for as speedily
as we might like.

--
David H. Bailey