On Monday, Sep 23, 2002, at 02:02 US/Pacific, Mark D. Lew wrote:

>> If you are using a reasonably current MacOS you should check out Text
>> Editor plugin.

> I don't know what counts as "reasonably current", but I'll bet it's
> not me. It's rare that I find anyone using an older OS than mine.
> (I'm in MacOS 8.0.)

I believe that you will have to use the free upgrade to MacOS 8.1 (at
minimum) in order to use Text Editor. The main requirements are the
availability of the Appearance Manager (which comes with a stock 8.0
install) and the Navigation Manager (which must be downloaded
separately for OS 8 but comes with the 8.1 install). A secondary
preferred option is the availability of a CarbonLib on the system (also
coming with OS 8.1). In the descriptive text on my web page it's states
that the minimum OS is 8.6. However this is only because I'm not able
to conveniently install OS 8.1 on my machine and test it with Finale
and plugins. In fact I have to rely on user reports for any OS less
than 9.1. I have branches in the code to take advantage of the newer OS
and CarbonLib APIs but otherwise use the standard Toolbox calls that
are portable across all MacOSes since the System 7.1 era.

Text Editor aside for a moment, unless you have a huge problem backing
up and restoring your data files, there are a few advantages to moving
up to OS 8.1. It is a free upgrade. The description blocks for the hard
drive will be reduced to 4K when opting for the HFS+ file system and
you will gain some additional HD space. The menu click response time is
much better and the system is faster in general.

Good luck,

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca