Oh, sure he could.  He could put those now-out-of-work OS9 programmers
to work programming a self-executing e-mail containing a purported OS9
patch to be sent to all currently registered users of OS9, which once
executed would reprogram some hidden EPROM in the MAC so that if it
detects OS9 it will halt the boot process and tell you that you must run
OSX.  It will then tell you that OSX won't run on your current machine
so you will not only have to purchase OSX but that you will also have to
purchase a new machine to go with it.

Don't put it past him -- he has been to billy-cloning school and got the
highest marks in his graduating class!

Phil Daley wrote:
> The Fifth Column
>
> He Can't Do That!
>
> That was the immediate, loud, and angry reaction of many who read the
> recent announcement that, starting January 2003, new Macs will not be
> able to boot OS 9. They will be able to run OS 9 applications in Classic
> mode (for how long, one wonders), but they won't be able to run OS 9 solo.
>
> I'm not sure how many of these unhappy folks there are, it being too
> easy to hear in the decibel level of the outcry an exaggeration of the
> numerosity of the outcriers, but I know who they are. They are the true
> believers. The Rest of Us. The loyal Mac users.

[snip]
> If you're not, don't worry. Steve is not going to disable OS 9 in your Mac.
>
> He can't do that.

> Michael Swaine is Editor-at-Large for Dr. Dobb's Journal. He can be
> contacted at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

David H. Bailey