----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark D. Lew

> It's possible that there is some good reason to be using the bass clef
that
> you're unaware of.

Ok, I'll come clean.  For reasons that are too uninteresting to explain,
I've been putting the Introduction of Part 1 of of Stravinsky's 'The Rite of
Spring' into Finale.  Suffice to say it's related to the lecturing work at
University.  So the bass clarinet example I cited in the previous post is
from bar 13 of the Introduction.  In both the Boosey and Hawkes study score
and the Dover Edition score there is a bass clef at preceding bar 13
followed by a A (transposed) on the first space.  Now the note that sounds
in performance is a concert pitch G situated on the bottom line of staff in
bass clef.  But this should be notated for the bass clarinet as an A a 9th
above, and in treble clef (2 leger lines below bottom line).  The note that
actually appears in the score to 'The Rite...' is outwith the bs.cl. range.
Can anyone with access to the score (or a good knowledge of it) shed any
light on this?  I'm sure this is probably old news, and there is some reason
for it, but I find it kind of puzzling.

While we're on the subject of apparent anomalies in the Rite score, there
are a few rhythms in the score that seem to me to not quite add up.  For
example the Flute 1 tuplet in bar 25 (rehearsal point 5).  By my count,
there seem to be too many notes in this measure.  Is this correct?  The only
way I can see this adding up is if there were 2 additional nested triplets
(or 1 sextuplet) over the 2nd and 3rd notes, and also the 4th, 5th & 6th
notes.

Once again, I'll be amazed if this hasn't been discussed to death already,
but if someone could shed some light on these issues for someone who was
obviously asleep at the time, I'd be grateful.

Regards,

Colin.
----
Colin Broom, composer