Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
[snip]
Hmm. Our ideas part company on this one. Jazz in particular IS transcribable, to a certain extent. It is just that a lot of what is great in jazz SHOULDN'T be written down, as writing it down tends to sterilize it. Have you heard those great compositions by Mingus, like most of the album "Mingus Ah Um", where Mingus sang each performer's line to them instead of writing them down? It wasn't out of laziness. It was so that the players wouldn't get stuck on playing only what was on the page. I understand you wanting to get your instructions to the performer to be as clear and unambiguous as possible (I do that, too!), but sometimes the paper isn't the best way to do it.
[snip]

But then if Mingus sang the person's part to him/her with the intention of them NOT playing it exactly as sung, how far away from what was originally sung were they allowed to get? And as soon as that person played something different, even slightly, from what Mingus wrote, who really was the composer?

--
David H. Bailey