At 01:49 PM 11/12/02, Crystal Premo wrote:
>I was taught that unless it is marked otherwise, changing the time signature
>from 4/4 to 2/2 cuts time in half, making the quarter notes go twice as
>fast. Finale does not play it back this way, though, so my guess is that
>the real convention is that if you mean to cut time in half, you must add
>some other marking. What would that marking be?

For a performer, as David Bailey suggested, you need to put a little quarter = half marking on top of the staff. For Finale to play back correctly, you also need to define this expression for playback so that the tempo changes appropriately.

Of course, you'll also need a half = quarter marking when you go back to 4/4.

This is why I suggested that, if possible, you turn your two 2/2 bars into two 2/4 bars -- no tempo change necessary.

Aaron.