On 2002/11/15 05:13 PM or thereabouts, Randolph Peters
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> intoned:

> Andrew Stiller wrote:
> [snip]
>> Rock (of which Pop, for the past 40 years, is a synonym, not a
>> different genre) is not tonal. Triadic yes, diatonic yes, but not
>> tonal. A genre in which one may cadence with any progression at all
>> *except* the authentic, may end on a suspension or a seventh chord,
>> or may fade out without any conclusion at all, cannot be called
>> tonal in any sense that I would recognize.
>
> Ok, I'll bite.
>
> Isn't tonality a concept bigger than, and inclusive of, the following
> subcategories?:
>
> Triadic, Diatonic, Modal, and Functional harmonies

Gregorian Chant is tonal?  Yours ain't the definition of "tonality" I was
taught.

- Darcy

------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston, MA

"You know, they say people get the government they deserve, but I don't
recall knife-raping any retarded nuns."

                                    - Jared Andruss, Shipping Clerk