>Crystal Premo wrote:
>>I have been taught that the short line above
>>a pitch is called "tenuto", but in my dictionary it is just described
>>as a less marked accent.

John Howell responded:
>I would disagree with this.  I interpret it--and intend it when I use
>it--as a stress mark, not an accent mark.  Clap your hands together;
that
>is an accent.  Press your hands together; that is a stress.  It is not,
>ever, a "tenuto," which means a "holding" or stretching of the beat,
quite
>a different thing.

I wouldn't expect "tenuto" to imply extra length, though I hear it
interpreted that way. In circumstances where it is used immediately
after staccato I interpret it as "hold this for its full length, in
contrast to the preceding staccato". Does the Italian mean both "held"
and "stretched"? The little line seems to be used quite ambiguously.

Patsy Moore

--
Patsy Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(formerly [EMAIL PROTECTED])