At 11:25 AM 12/03/02, Patsy Moore wrote:

>I wouldn't expect "tenuto" to imply extra length, though I hear it
>interpreted that way. In circumstances where it is used immediately
>after staccato I interpret it as "hold this for its full length, in
>contrast to the preceding staccato". Does the Italian mean both "held"
>and "stretched"?

In Italian, "tenuto" is the past participle of "tenere", which is roughly
equivalent to "to hold" -- but like the English word "hold" (or "keep", or
"make", or "contain", or "stand") it might have any of dozens of meanings
depending on the context.

One specific meaning of "tenuto" is the musical one, which is the same in
Italian as it is in any other language.  In a musical context, that is the
meaning that matters, and an Italian musician is not likely to contemplate
other literal meanings of the word any more than you might contemplate
other meanings of "beat" or "swing".

mdl