Your suggestion is the way I handle such situations. The time signature tool can't handle what you want.

There are other suggestions about setting the vertical offset of the numbers so that the top number appears centered and the bottom number would print off the bottom of the page. This would work also, but I would think that simply hiding the time signature and using an expression to replace the time signature would give you more control over the appearance, even to using a different font to show a vertically stretched digit which occupies the entire 5-line staff, top-to-bottom.

Either way it is a kludge, and you might consider making a suggestion to winsupport or macsupport @makemusic.com, so that there is an option in the time signature dialog to display only the top number of the signature, centered top to bottom, with another option to stretch it from top to bottom selectable.

Jonathan Klizas wrote:
I am sure this has been addressed numerous times but is it possible to have
a single digit representing the time signature via the Time Signature tool?
I want a single 4 to represent 4/4 and a single 5 to represent 5/4, etc. I
know I can hide the time signature in the Staff Attribute dialog box and
either create a Staff Expression with the single integer or, I suppose, a
Text object with the same. I'm hoping the Finale Time Signature tool has
matured enough to allow this but I am not able to accomplish this with
Finale 2002. Any ideas?

Jonathan Klizas

David H. Bailey