On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 01:24  AM, Andrew Levin wrote:

Darcy wrote:
Oh, one more question -- what kind of monitor do you have and what
connection are you using? VGA, DVI, or ADC?

I have a ViewSonic PF790 (CRT) with, I think, a standard VGA, at both locations. I like it a lot. How does this fit into the mix?
The Radeon 9000 doesn't have a built-in VGA port -- it ships with DVI and ADC -- but there's a DVI-to-VGA adapter included in the box. I may be wrong, but I don't think you lose any image quality going from DVI to VGA (as opposed to the other way around). And if you ever decide to splurge on Apple's 23" Cinema Display (or any other Apple display), it's nice having the ADC right on the card, as DVI-to-ADC adapters are very expensive.

I think the OEM nVidia cards have both ADC and VGA (in case you decide to go that route).

Thanks for your thorough comments. I'll probably try getting a card at work -- use my budget there -- before committing to it at home. I would very much like for the system in general to feel snappier. Every time I boot in OS 9 to work with Finale I am reminded just how quick it feels.
Please report back -- I think you'll be happy (or at least, happier) with the type of performance gains Quartz Extreme allows.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA