I believe this to be true, but in the case of the U.S. I don't believe we ever were signatory to the Berne Convention, but instead worked out separate copyright treaties with individual nations.

I think we first entered into a true international copyright treaty with the Uruguay round of GATT, and that was when we first got the life-plus-50 copyright term (75 years for corporate copyright) which was then extended to life plus 70 (95 years for corporate copyright) to further comply with other signatories' copyright terms.

James O'Briant wrote:
John Howell wrote, in part:

... (And yes, it could be PD in one country and under copyright in another with different laws. I don't believe that the laws of the original copyrighting country apply, except in that country.)

I had understood the opposite to be true -- that as long as a work
remains under copyright in the country in which the original copyright
was registered, it remains under copyright in all countries who are
signatories to the Berne Convention.  If I'm mistaken, I hope someone
can point us toward documentation that will clarify this always thorny
issue!

Jim O'Briant
Bayside Music Press
Gilroy, CA   95020