Thanks, Randy... I had tried this and every permutation of holding down the
option key too, and nothing made a difference. The option key WILL, in some
cases (seems to matter where in relation to the staff you double-click)
casue the ending hook to be upward instead of downward, but that's it.
Nothing I've tried produces a downward hook at the beginning followed by a
line (except one thing..see later).

As for what you suggested, dragging from left to right causes a line ending
with a downward hook. Dragging from right to left only meant that a downward
hook began the figure, followed by a line. In other words, the exact same
thing, only starting at a different spot.

Dragging the end point is something else I tried, but dragging an endpoint
past the other only worked in one (weird) scenario: if the newley-dragged
endpoint extended past the left edge of the stave, THEN it would result in a
downward hook!

I'm on FINMAC 2002b.

Richard