Dorothy Ker wrote:

>   I employ the breve
> as 'a duration lasting a whole breath' so for obvious reasons
> subdividing it won't do. Presumably I can create [a diamond shaped breve,
> with two end bars] myself but I haven't yet attempted this in Finale.

If I were to do it, I'd create the desired note as a measure attached shape
expression.  In the shape designer, I'd first display the staff template.
Then, selecting the desired notation font and size, I'd type the character
for the breve, and move it so it sits in the staff.  Then, I'd adjust the
reduction size of the shape to about 400 percent, and define line tool to
create a line with the same width as that on the vertical bars on the
double-whole note, and place the two end lines.  I'd then group each of the
two pairs of end bars.  Then I would delete the double whole note character,
and type the character for the diamond breve you want to use.  I would then
adjust the two grouped pairs of double bars as necessary, and group both
groups, and the character together into a single character.  Then I would
adjust the entire group so that the origin circle is exactly in the middle.
Be sure in the definition of the shape expression that you disallow adjusting
the character graphically.

To use the character, I would enter a regular double whole note in the score
at the desired position and pitch, then I would place the measure attached
expression directly on top of the note (easy to do, since it will place at
the origin, which I have found to be the center of the crosshair).  I would
then hide the double whole note.

ns