Robert Patterson wrote:

> ...If you take nothing else away from a reading
>  of Ted Ross's book, you should take away that
> communication of the composer's intent to a
> performer in the most efficient and clear way
> was his overriding concern.

I agree that clear communication of the composer's intent, IN THE MANNER
THAT THE PLAYER UNDERSTANDS, is primary.

> Thus, you seem to be deriding what you
> say you believe in most.

Quite the contrary.  I am saying the traditional ways of displaying key
signatures or key changes are what most players understand most readily.
Changing them to something different is changing them to something that
most players understand less readily.

All I can tell you is that I regularly and repeatedly receive
compliments from my customers on the readability of the music I sell,
and that I have never had one single complaint about my use of
accidentals or the method in which I engrave key changes.

Jim O'Briant
Bayside Music Press
Gilroy, CA   95020

http://www.baysidemusicpress.com