At 5:57 PM 05/28/03, David W. Fenton wrote:

>If I were editing a present-day composer, I'd include every
>idiosyncrasy of the original manuscript that I could, as long as it
>did not compromise readability.

Well, that brings up the question of what one means by "editing".  Two of
the composers I work with hire me precisely because they want someone who
will aggressively edit their work and not just copy it faithfully.  One of
them would be perfectly happy if she didn't have to write down anything at
all. She is frequently telling me, "You know what I want it to sound like;
you figure out how best to write it out."  Because we have established a
good working relationship over the years.

I think there's definitely a difference between "editing" you'd expect from
a publisher imposing typographic style, and an editor who is a close
collaborator.

mdl