At 5:24 PM -0500 5/29/03, John Howell wrote:
Enjoying the back and forth on this thread immensely, but this brought me up short:

>(The other problem here is our silly use of am identical or
nearly-identical curved line for both ties and slurs but it would take some
doing to change that.)

Huh? When a curved line connects two identical notes, it's a tie. When it connects two different notes, it's a slur. It always indicates no new attack. So what's the problem?

It's a problem if it slurs an altered F# to an un-courtesyed F natural over the barline, say in the key of C. I think I remember the previous poster outlining a situation like this.