on 6/12/03 2:41 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2003 at 21:36, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to go back to this subject...
>>
>> I just received a piece of SPAM (the usual African person with lots of money
>> etc), and amazingly it seems to have come through the Finale list, though it
>> is disguised. But it did have the [Finale] subeject and the sender was,
>> apparently, the list administrator. Now this is new. I include the headers
>> below. If anyone knows how to stop things like this I'd be very glad...
>
> Did everyone on the list receive this? I've not been reading closely
> the last day or so (too busy), and didn't see it go through my inbox.

I certainly didn't get it.

> What it looks like is that SHSU is using Spam Assassin to scan mail.
> And that it doesn't work, as it passed this message as not being
> spam:

SpamAssassin works very well, actually... The best of any spam filter I've
ever seen.  I got a ton of spam through my university email address (while
it was still active), and it was all but eliminated after I installed the
SpamAssassin POP3 proxy.  Sure, a few things per week squeaked through, but
nearly all of my 5+ spams a day were caught.

And just because some things are done that make SpamAssassin assign a
positive score doesn't mean it's actually spam.  That's the reason that SA
requires a score of 5 or higher to actually label an email as spam.

More information and free download (Windows and Unix/OSX):
<http://spamassassin.org/>