That's a good topic for the SMT or CMS Teaching Music Theory lists. I'd like to see what they so with these comments. Fact is that most teachers of aural skills do drill intervals without tonal context. It seems to be pretty useful for young singers, but arguable about how much it helps with tonal musicianship. Great for quasi- or non-tonal contexts, but then it might be better to change nomenclature to half-step distances. The only thing is that the concept of a third or a fifth relates to music notated on a staff better than a 4 or a 7 (half steps).

Tim