At 05:14 PM 8/3/03, you wrote: If that's the case, it should be dotted quarter - eighth - eighth rest - dotted quarter; or (my preference) dotted quarter - eighth - eighth rest - eighth tied to quarter (I don't like dotted offbeats -- in 4/4 I only use dotted quarters on beats one and three, never on the and of one or the and of three).

That's my preference, also, and I've already re-notated the offending rhythm that way.

I've also heard there is a rule of thumb that the arranger should notate syncopations in such a way that the 3rd beat of a 4/4 bar will be apparent.

Sort of. The rules are actually a little more complicated than that but that's not a bad generalization.

Can you give me the formal, or more complete rule? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but am truly curious.

In this same transcription, I just came across a dotted half-rest followed by a quarter note; it fills the measure, but I prefer half-rest quarter-rest quarter-note.