At 11:09 AM 8/4/03 -0400, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>But as soon as you have even one eighth note in the measure, then you
>have to be able to see the 3rd beat, so that groupings of 4 eighth
>notes are apparent (both in beaming and in tying).

This rule belongs with music of certain eras, roughly that Bach-to-Bartok
range (along with music rooted in those styles).

Many (Most? I haven't kept up.) transcriptions of earlier music into modern
notation avoid the syncopatedness implicit to tied notes by using complete
note values. And newer compositions, depending on the style, use
conventional-looking notations merely as placekeepers.

So before making a final decision on changing a rhythmic grouping, be sure
to check with the composer/arranger as to the purpose of the notational
indication.

Dennis