J. Simon van der Walt wrote

> > From: "Peter Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> > The name of this march is Aces High and you're right, it WAS written by Ron
> > Goodwin, but only for the film - it has nothing to do with the real
Luftwaffe.

> I'm not so sure about that. One of my old professors at college - who knew
> far too much about this kind of thing - told me that, athough the march was
> written by a British composer to portray the Luftwaffe in the film, it was
> such a good tune, and such a successful pastiche of a German march,
> including certain details of orchestration which elude me know, that the
> Luftwaffe did in fact adopt it as an official march.

I didn't know that but it doesn't really come as a surprise.  When I play the
trio on Euphonium with the melody harmonised in thirds, I'm always reminded of
Old Comrades (Die Alte Kameraden).  The reason I made that remark about the real
Luftwaffe is I once knew a cornet player who always refused to play any German
marches (because of events in 39-45) and he always maintained Aces High was the
Luftwaffe March (even though it wasn't published until 1969/70).  Obviously the
typically German style had him fooled!

The other march in the film I think you mean Keith, is the main Battle of
Britain Theme, which as you say very similar to 633 Squadron. and not very easy
to march to!  :o).  The film also had some great music by Sir William Walton if
I remember rightly, particularly the dogfight scenes.

Peter