On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 07:32 AM, Robert Patterson Finale wrote:

In light of the swinish girth of Acrobat 5 and the godzilla-proportions of Acrobat 6 (including the readers), I've been eschewing these formats in favor of PDF level 4. I'm wondering if anyone else is, and if anyone beside me is sticking with Reader 4. (Well, I'm using reader 5 on OSX because it is OSX-compatible.)

I'm not familiar with the full-on Acrobat products (I create PDFs by printing to PS and converting with Ghostscript), but the newer versions of Acrobat Reader are definitely unusable. Adobe Reader 6 does not even allow proper navigation of the Finale help documents! Any time it tries to switch documents (to go from the index to a chapter, for example) it goes to the very top of the chapter, instead of to the page within that you're attempting to read. Also, the bookmarks in the left-hand "drawer" don't take you anywhere.

I use Acrobat Reader 5 on OS 9.2.2, OS X, and WinXP. What is the advantage of 4 over 5, in your opinion? And where is it available for download these days?