The primary advantage is that scaling systems gives you precise control over system
margins. Also, if you have varying system percentages, your page text remains the same
size without the need for fixed font attributes. The problem with fixed font
attributes is that when you want to produce a variant version of the piece (e.g., a
study score), the fixed font items don't reduce.

System scaling became the preferred technique starting with (I believe) Finale 2000.
Before that, although system scaling was possible, page scaling made more sense.

System scaling also gives you easier control over page layout. Best practice seems to
be system scaling and zero for top and bottom system margins. (To maintain separation
of systems, enter a value like 144 evpu in Distance Between Staves.)