At 06:48 AM 9/21/2003 -0400, David H. Bailey wrote:
At the risk of tempting fate, this morning was the first time in a couple of weeks that I was able to download my email and not have any infected with a virus.

I think that one wave or another will be with us for some time to come, simply because there aren't virus-catching programs running at most email servers. I can't imagine the bottleneck that would be created if current antivirus programs inspected each and every incoming e-mail message at a server. But if somebody could write a program which would innoculate infected messages at a high speed, then virus writers would be out of business in short order (until somebody figured out how to circumvent the anti-virus mail-servers).

Actually, it would probably be a net gain, assuming the virus and spam messages were deleted on the spot. Indiana University recently reported that a full 50% of their network traffic is garbage messages. If all (or a significant percentage of) the mail servers would be equipped with filtering software that simply deleted the junk, that would free up an enormous resource that currently is wasted on the internet. Yes, filtering costs some cycles, but cutting out the junk would give all of that back and more.