Christopher Smith writes:

Can someone help me here?

FinMac 2003, I have dotted notes in two layers at the interval of a second, and the lower note has a flat. Finale spaces this by default with the Layer 2 note WAY to the right to avoid colliding the flat and the upper note's dot.

In Special Tool I have moved the dot of the upper note to the right, and I have moved the flat on the lower note to the left, then I used the Special Tool to move the Layer 2 note back left where it should be. This leaves a big gap at the end of the measure, but I can't get Finale to respace the measure properly. I have checked "Incorporate Manual Spacing" hoping that it would, but it just moves the lower note WAY to the right again. In fact, it moves it even when I HAVEN"T invoked Music Spacing. I realised this when I checked back a few minutes later and somehow Finale had decided to do something about it while I wasn't looking.

What do I do? I haven't even put music in other staves yet, and I am going to have to align all this at some point, but I can't even get two layers to align properly!

Dear Christopher,

I tried to duplicate you problem by entering in 4/4 two parts on a staff using Layers 1 and 2 with the final notes being a second apart, both dotted quarters, and the lower part with a flat. I found that using the spacing command (MM, commd-4) the result was fine. The second had the stems in alignment, the dots werre as well, and the flat was in front of the notes and cleared them both. I'm using FinMac2003. Could it be that by the time the Mac version came out, this particular case was corrected?

Hal
--
Harold Owen
2830 Emerald St., Eugene, OR 97403