Robert Patterson Finale wrote:
[snip]
I'm hoping someone else on this list uses custom lines, and will help me disabuse our friends at Coda of the notion that I'm the only one who cares whether custom line text remains visible irrespective of spacing (at least optionally).

I never thought of using the CLT for fermatas over tremolos, but that is a really good idea! I love the CLT and use it for a variety of glissandos.

1) It isn't that hard to make up a gliss. line that looks a bit like a railway track (single, not double!) for glissandos with a tremolo bowing. Whether this notation is kosher is another question, but I did have a prof. who used this notation all the time back in the ink and onion paper days. (It looks a bit like this: ++++++++++++++, with no spaces between characters.)

2) I also use an arrow with a "join" written on top of it to indicate 2 staves coming together. You can angle it any way you like.

3) I also use the CLT for a very thick line with an arrow on the right side to show the continuation of a "mobile" or repeating cell. The beauty of the CLT is that it handles line breaks very well with a new arrow showing up on each line.

It used to be hard to transfer custom lines from document to document, but Robert Patterson's Mass Copy and Settings Scrapbook plugins have solved those problems. Legibility is still a concern in extracted parts, but I just see that as one more thing you have to check.

-Randolph Peters