Andrew Stiller's instrumentation book gave the state-of-the-art c. 1979 for extensions
as about 25% each of barry saxes and b. cls. have extension keys. (The barry sax to
written low a, and the b. cl. to written low c.)

I seem to remember on a discussion on this list that these extension keys are much
more common now. To the point, esp. for barry saxes, that many more instruments, esp.
at the pro level, have the a-extension than do not. I would like to just assume the
barry sax has the low a, given that it is for a pro ensemble. Is this a justified
assumption?

For the b. cl., I'm writing ossias for the extended notes, but I happen to know that
the likely player for the premiere has the extension.

I would be interested in any comments concerning the current state-of-the-art on
extensions for these axes.

Robert