Assuming low A on bari sax is an acceptable thing these days, as even student models are now coming with them. To cover all bases, you could simply put a smaller notehead on the same stem on an harmonically appropriate note as an ossia, but you should find that especially with pros, the low A is the standard model now.

The same is probably true of a "real" bass clarinet player at the pro level (as opposed to a Bb clarinet player who has a Bundy bass clarinet in the closet for the rare occasions when it will get him a gig). All the professional bass clarinet players I run into these days have low C instruments.

Robert Patterson Finale wrote:

Andrew Stiller's instrumentation book gave the state-of-the-art c. 1979 for extensions as about 25% each of barry saxes and b. cls. have extension keys. (The barry sax to written low a, and the b. cl. to written low c.)

I seem to remember on a discussion on this list that these extension keys are much more common now. To the point, esp. for barry saxes, that many more instruments, esp. at the pro level, have the a-extension than do not. I would like to just assume the barry sax has the low a, given that it is for a pro ensemble. Is this a justified assumption?

For the b. cl., I'm writing ossias for the extended notes, but I happen to know that the likely player for the premiere has the extension.

I would be interested in any comments concerning the current state-of-the-art on extensions for these axes.

Robert

.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]