I was rehearsing a piece today on tenor sax with a pianist. My part went up to C (5 lines above), and I don't have to think too hard about that, as I am only reading one line, but the pianist was constantly asking "what's that note?" His part frequently had 6 ledger lines on both ends, and only used 8va signs when the top note on the piano was called for! But another pianist I work with prefers it that way--she hates excessive use of 8va signs. And a violinist I have helped with some scale books only wants to see ledger lines all the way up--no 8va at all. He says it is confusing!

Tim