I, too, have heard that many instrumentalists (specifically violinists) prefer leger
lines to 8va symbols. I can accept this up to 5-leger-line (and a half) c4. Do players
really prefer leger lines even higher? I'm currently working on a passage for violin
that hangs around e4 (6 leger lines in treble clef). Isaav Asimov used to say the
human mind can only distinguish up to five items as a unit. Above that, we slow down
and count sub-groups. This is certainly my own experience. So going past 5 leger lines
has always seemed problematic to me (never mind the vertical spacing issues).

Are there fiddle players here who would rather see 6 leger lines for e4? As a horn
player I'm perfectly comfortable down to written pedal Bb with leger lines. Below
that, I want bass clef (either new or old--just be sure to say which it is). But this
may just be a function of what we're used to.