To be honest, it all depends. If it is a passage which suddenly jumps to a
very high note, ledger lines can be a real obstacle, in finding out whether
it is an e4 or g4 or whatever.

But a change to 8va in the middle of a high passage regularly throws me.
Then, I am not really confronted with this kind of thing all that often as a
baroque and classical violinist. (Preparing for next year's Flying
Dutchman...)

In other words it really depends on the context. I would not want anyone to
use 8va for anything including high a or b, but beyond that I think I would
prefer it.

Johannes

On 30.09.2003 16:19 Uhr, Robert Patterson Finale wrote

--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de