I only have time for a few observations after browsing your work, so I hope
they're helpful.  First let me say I have done very little engraving
(probably just enough to know it's something I don't want to do too much of)
but I have used Finale for a long time and am aware of certain problem areas
in the program for the engraver.

Most of the following concerns inconsistent spacings, placements and
distances:

    1. LH, beginning - some slurs touch staccato marks, others do not.

    2. in the unmetered sections I can see where the barlines once were,
    causing spacing to be uneven.  Go to options menu> document settings>
    music options to adjust globally.

    3. p. 1, last line, first beat in RH - natural is touching beam.

    4. p. 2, 2nd line, RH, right before "in a gradually excited way,"
    accidentals on the same chord are ordered inconsistently.  I believe
    Finale is the culprit w/ clustered accidentals, but I admit I don't
    know the rules involved and can't take the time right now to look them
    up in Gardner Read.

    5. p. 2, last line, RH, 8th rests are inconsistently placed in
    relationship to the notes.

    6. p. 3, 2nd line, RH, the last "1st space" F should have an accidental
    based on the previous pattern.  Your mistake or the original's?

on 10/17/03 7:20 PM, Keef at [EMAIL PROTECTED] asked:

>....... 1.  Is it in the realm of publishable? .......

I'd say there's a little ways to go to get to publishable.  I think
publishers are very particular about the type of problems mentioned above
and I found those problems in a relatively short amount of time w/out
pouring over the piece.  Calculated out, the piece is not really at
acceptable 1st proof status yet, but fixing the 5 - 15% margin of error you
mentioned might help.  It's hard to know exactly w/out seeing what you
worked from.

I would advise you to get familiar with what quality engraving is and then
start recreating it with the help of at least one good text on the subject.
Also, (not knowing exactly how familiar you are w/ Finale) some of the
tedious tasks in the program have been handled wonderfully with plugins,
both from Coda and from 3rd parties.

I hope this has helped.

Don Hart