At 12/17/2003 03:12 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

>> Seems useless to me, but maybe the Mac doesn't have a row of buttons
>> for every program on the start bar.
>
>And how useful are those buttons under these circumstances:
>
>1. you have multiple instances of the same application with different
>documents.

The row of buttons on the start bar contain the document name for each invocation. You just choose the one you want. Works easily and is not a problem.

>2. since the taskbar displays the title bar text of the window it
>represents, if the app's title bar is of the format "Application Name
>- Document Name", when you have any number of apps running, you can't
>tell which document is represented by which window without scrubbing
>the mouse over them to trigger the tooltip that gives the full title
>bar text.

I don't usually run more than 10 programs at once, so this is not a problem for me, but, if you do run more programs than that all the time, I would make the task bar 2 lines big to give the icon buttons more room.

>3. compare scenario 2) with 4 running taskbar buttons to running with
>8 and then with 16 and then with 32. It's pretty clear that the
>taskbar becomes useless for identifying which window is represented
>by which taskbar button very, very quickly.

Only if you constrain it to one line (see above).

>Office 2K forced the issue
>because of MS's stupid insistence on moving to the single document
>interface (i.e., each Word document gets an independent window,
>rather than child windows of the parent Word window),

I agree that was a stupid move. I try not to use Word except when I have to. I normally write in a programmer's editor.

>WinXP, MS had to come up with a solution to the proliferation of
>taskbar icons created by the stupidity of regressing to the single
>document interface, and they did this by putting an option in the
>Taskbar that would group all the windows for a single application
>instance in a single button, with a dropdown menu for navigating
>between them.

I never knew that. But I don't have a problem with too many task bar buttons.

>The taskbar (and OS X's Dock) are not big enough to solve problem of
>identifying what the iconic items represent. Making them large enough
>would take over too much of the working area. Enter Expose, which
>easily toggles you between what amounts to a full-screen Dock
>(taskbar) and your applications. It's rather as though in Windows Alt-
>Tab used the whole screen to represent the apps that you can cycle
>through.

I never use alt-tab. A mouse click is much faster, to me.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://personal.monad.net/~p_daley