On 17 Dec 2003 at 7:25, Phil Daley wrote:

> At 12/16/2003 12:46 PM, Fiskum, Steve wrote:
>
>  >> WinXP had user switching in its initial release, so it seems to me
>  >> that Exposé is copied from WinXP, though, quite obviously, with a
>  UI >> that is vastly superior to and more intuitive than MS's boring
>  >> implementtation (which most people don't understand and don't
>  use). >> >Here is some info on Expose. I think you may have a
>  different response after >reading. >
>  >http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/
>
> Seems useless to me, but maybe the Mac doesn't have a row of buttons
> for every program on the start bar.

And how useful are those buttons under these circumstances:

1. you have multiple instances of the same application with different
documents.

2. since the taskbar displays the title bar text of the window it
represents, if the app's title bar is of the format "Application Name
- Document Name", when you have any number of apps running, you can't
tell which document is represented by which window without scrubbing
the mouse over them to trigger the tooltip that gives the full title
bar text.

3. compare scenario 2) with 4 running taskbar buttons to running with
8 and then with 16 and then with 32. It's pretty clear that the
taskbar becomes useless for identifying which window is represented
by which taskbar button very, very quickly.

Note that Microsoft has gotten smart on this -- the original Word UI
guidelines specified the Application - Document format for title
bars, but with Office 2000 and IE5 Microsoft change the rules for
themselves for precisely this reason. Office 2K forced the issue
because of MS's stupid insistence on moving to the single document
interface (i.e., each Word document gets an independent window,
rather than child windows of the parent Word window), and then in
WinXP, MS had to come up with a solution to the proliferation of
taskbar icons created by the stupidity of regressing to the single
document interface, and they did this by putting an option in the
Taskbar that would group all the windows for a single application
instance in a single button, with a dropdown menu for navigating
between them.

The taskbar (and OS X's Dock) are not big enough to solve problem of
identifying what the iconic items represent. Making them large enough
would take over too much of the working area. Enter Expose, which
easily toggles you between what amounts to a full-screen Dock
(taskbar) and your applications. It's rather as though in Windows Alt-
Tab used the whole screen to represent the apps that you can cycle
through.

The benefit seems quite obvious to me, as someone who has sworn at
the taskbar, the taskbar's failed promise and the things MS has done
to muck it up ever since it was introduced in Win95.