Crystal Premo wrote:

A quick survey of the 14 people here in this room in NYC revealed that they
all say "o-pen-ing".

Hmmmn, "o-pen-ing night" or, "another op'ning of another show." Context sometimes controls pronunciation. It's a strange language, (but so are most others). I tend to not worry about whether a practice seems archaic or not, but rather whether the communication is clear and unambiguous. "Op'-ning" seems to satisfy that criterion.

An interesting aspect of this (to me - and I would think, to any music graphics person) is that the translation of aural experience into the written code that is assumed to represent it most often misrepresents it by losing the variety and nuance that is more naturally conveyed and preserved by oral/aural "data transmission."

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836