On 04.01.2004 13:11 Uhr, d. collins wrote

 Thanks, Johannes. This is indeed what I was wondering about (and, as I said
 in another message, I made the mistake of quoting Ross from memory and
 forgetting that he doesn't actually recommend the method he describes). But
 I'm not sure the solution you give works with "early" music (17th century)
 if you want to keep the original time signatures and if you have different
 time signatures in a piece (C and 3/1, as happens quite often) for which
 you can't really use the same default whole measure rest. (I use the double
 whole note rest for a whole measure in 3/1).

Yes, that's a problem, and I don't know any automatic way how to do this. Effectively the multimeasure rest symbols would have to be translated for twice as many measures of rests.

Johannes

This actually comes down to a question of whether you want to keep as much of the original notation as possible, in which case a facsimile of the original is the best idea, or want to make an edition that is clear to a modern musician at sight. 3/1 time is NOT common today, although it was common enough in the 17th century. Normally when one makes a modern edition the note values for this kind of music are halved or quartered. (The Wili Apel generation loved 8th and 16th notes, no doubt a result of growing up with too much Beethoven!)

John

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale