On 5 Jan 2004 at 13:52, Phil Daley wrote:

> At 1/5/2004 01:29 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>  >When I lived in Cleveland, I had the good fortune to be involved in
>  a >choir that sang Latin mass every Sunday, with a full polyphonic
>  >ordinary (drawn from both the great Renaissance repertory and from
>  >modern composers) and plus 1 to 3 polyphonic motets, with the rest
>  of >the proper sung in Gregorian chant for direct from the Liber
>  Usualis. >The group rehearsed for 3 hours on Sunday night and
>  performed the >service at noon on Sunday.
>
> 3 hour rehearsal?  Volunteer?  That's not going to happen in small
> communities.

You don't need a 3-hour rehearsal to perform one piece in white
notes. You *do* need it if you're preparing 45-60 minutes of music.

>  >My experience with teaching, especially in volunteer circumstances,
>  is >that people rise to your expectations -- expect little and you
>  get >exactly what you expect. Treat them as though you expect
>  professional >levels of accomplishment and you would be surprised
>  what they >accomplish.
>
> Of course, but you are not going to get 3 hour rehearsals, in my
> experience.

To prepare one piece in unfamiliar notation, you'll need more time
than you would for a piece in familiar notation. You won't need 3
hours, because if it takes 3 hours to learn a piece in white notes,
it would take 2 hours to learn it in 4/4.