Gardner Read, in Music Notation -- A Manual of Modern Practice, at the bottom of p. 97, continuing on the top of p. 98:

"Although the whole rest literally signifies only the value of a whole note (or of two half-notes combines), it now commonly serves as the symbol for any completely silent measure, regardless of the meter or time signature (see chapter 10). Formerly, it served for all measure values except 4/2, this rest being indicated by a sign borrowed from the breve symbol of thirteenth- and fourteenth-century music (see page 15). But today the whole rest stands for any empty measure -- for all meters from a theoretical 8/2 to a 3/16. For a 2/16 (1/8) or smaller silent bar, an actual 8th (or smaller) rest would be used."

Ted Ross says basically the same thing, bottom of page 173, although he still holds with what Garner Read refers to as "formerly" so that Ross says a 4/2 measure would use the breve rest.

Kurt Stone says basically the same thing on pages 135-136 of Music Notation in the Twentieth Century.

So depending on the authority you cite, we're both right -- Read says the whole rest can be used for any meter, both Ross and Stone say measures of 4/2 would use the breve rest, but none of them say that 3/2 measures would use the breve rest.

Johannes Gebauer wrote:
On 04.01.2004 13:40 Uhr, David H. Bailey wrote

Actually, you CAN use the default whole rest, since its meaning is
two-fold:  equal in length to a whole note, or, when the only thing in
the measure it represents a whole measure of rest.  When it is the only
thing present in the measure, its meaning is clear to me.

That is not correct. If your measures are 4/2 long you should use the double
whole measure rest for one measure.
The whole rest only applies to measures up to 2/2, as far as I remember even
a 3/2 measure should have a double whole rest.

Johannes

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]