At 1:45 PM +0100 1/5/04, d. collins wrote:
Another question, which I know has already been raised. When two syllables, the end of one word and the beginning of the following one, are under one note, what is the sign used in the lyrics? I have seen short "slurs", but both over the gap in the lyrics and under. What is standard practice?

Dear Dennis,

I've seen the eliding slur below and above the gap and also just the gap itself. Off the top of my head, I'd say the slur below is the most common, and it has always been my preference. The character in the Toccata font you get with shift-/ is just about the right size at 12 pt. I assign it with letter U as a text expression. After entering the two syllables with a hard space between them, I enlarge the view, assign the figure, and drag the it into place. Pretty simple, actually. BTW, if you are using a French font, is the elision slur available in its character set?

A happy, healthy, and productive new year to you all.

Hal