On Monday, January 5, 2004, at 04:45 AM, d. collins wrote:

Another question, which I know has already been raised. When two syllables, the end of one word and the beginning of the following one, are under one note, what is the sign used in the lyrics? I have seen short "slurs", but both over the gap in the lyrics and under. What is standard practice?

I'm getting ready to rush out the door, so I don't have time to look it up properly, but I think that's the capital "I" in one of the EngraverText fonts. You have to make it a much larger point size than the regular text; I think I was using 24pt. The curve shape is definitely below the text baseline, not above. This happens a LOT in Italian vocal music.

mdl