On Monday, January 5, 2004, at 11:01 AM, Mark D Lew wrote:

I'm getting ready to rush out the door, so I don't have time to look it up properly, but I think that's the capital "I" in one of the EngraverText fonts. You have to make it a much larger point size than the regular text; I think I was using 24pt. The curve shape is definitely below the text baseline, not above. This happens a LOT in Italian vocal music.

Follow-up on my own post, after reviewing a past job.

The character is indeed the capital "I", and it's in the font EngraverFontSet. However, you *don't* need to put it in a different size. (It only seems to be in a different size, because the presence of that font stretches out the line spacing in the Edit Lyrics box, but the specified point size matches the text around it.)

Just type the character in as if it were a normal letter -- "Ca-ro mio ben, cre-di-miIal-men" -- then select the "I" and change it to the EngraverFontSet.

Important note: Perhaps it has been updated, but in Fin 2k2, multiple fonts within a single syllable is not allowed in type-in-score mode. If you use type-in-score, you can enter the elided syllable all in one font there, but you'll have to go into the Edit Lyrics box to change the font for the "I". Once you've made this change, try not to select that syllable again in type-in-score; if you do, the font change will be undone and you'll have to do it again.

mdl