At 5:43 PM -0500 1/08/04, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

That's why I said this was a religious debate. There ultimately are no compelling arguments on either side.

It's the same answer I give to my students when they ask why trumpets transpose. It's not because it's easier to read (like alto clef for violas, or a ninth for tenor saxophone, which puts their parts pretty much in the staff). It's not even (any more) because Bb trumpets sound better than C trumpets, which is the reason my orchestration teacher gave to me. It's because it's a common convention that everyone understands perfectly well (except for my students!) and one should have a good reason to go against convention.

christopher