On Jan 14, 2004, at 6:01 AM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if the tremolo you're trying to create takes up the space of a quarter note, then the result you're getting is correct -- looks like two quarter notes with three beams in between. If the top beam touched the two stems, you'd have what looks like two eighth notes, which would indicate a tremolo that takes up the space of a single eighth note.

Maybe so, but the source that I'm working from does it the way I described: The tremolo does indeed take up the space of a quarter note and the top beam is connected to the stems. I've seen that style before (in 19th century art song and opera) and I never thought it incorrect.

Anyway, whether I want to follow the source's style or impose the "correct" style instead is an editorial decision. My question is just logistical: Is there a way to do it?

If this is the effect you intended, then enter your notes as two sixteenth notes.

That doesn't work because then the resulting display doesn't line up properly with the beat chart. Also the playback notes don't fill the right amount of time. I see now that if I enter a tuplet with two 16th defined to take the space of two 8ths, then I can get the result I want, but that just adds extra work on the front end instead and doesn't save me any time over all.

What would solve my problem is if the options under the "Positioning" tab were made so that they could be set separately for the outer beam only, but it doesn't work that way.

I'll just have to make the adjustment in the Beam Extension special tools. It's not a big deal. In the old days, I did the entire tremolo procedure myself; now it's just this one small piece.

thanks
mdl