Guides are well used in a rare scenario in which the page layout is
finished, all tweaks are finished, and then you find that you need to change
something that alters the widths of measures automatically, like deleting a
time signature which it turns out was needlessly placed.

In this scenario, you can create vertical guides for all the barlines of
that staff system before deleting (Measure tool -- time signature -- "always
hide") the time signature. Then, after deleting the time signature, you can
readjust all of the barlines to where they were without having to look
through all of the measures of the individual staves for crashing (or
otherwise badly placed) objects. In large scores, especially ones with
tightly spaced notes, this makes such corrections safe and easy to do.

Also, you can use a horizontal guide to make sure that all of your lowest
staves in page view are an equal distance from the bottom page margin, or
indeed that any objects which must appear on the same place on every page
are really there.

Liudas