On Jan 23, 2004, at 11:30 AM, d. collins wrote:

I have three beamed grace notes before the main note (quarter note): two 32nds and one 16th. When I beam these together, I get three beams all over the three notes (3 32nds) instead of three beams between the first two and two between the last two, and no matter in what order I do the operations - beaming and making them into grace notes - I can't get the correct result. Any ideas?

I just tried the same thing (Fin Mac 2k2) and got the same results. Curious. Experimenting, I see that in any beamed group of grace notes, the entire group gets all the beams. For example, if you have an 8th and a 16th grace beamed together, it comes out looking like two 16ths.

Your immediate problem has a simple solution in the Secondary Beam Break special tool. Select this tool, then double click on the third square (ie, the one over the 16th). Leave the top radio button set to "break through" and click on the box labeled "32nd". This creates checkmarks in every box except for 16th. Now say OK, and I believe that gives you the result you want.

As far as I can tell, the notes are stored with the correct values internally, it's just the display that's wonky. Probably it's such a rare thing to have different valued grace notes beamed together that nobody ever thought to check that it works properly.

mdl