On Mar 26, 2004, at 8:27 AM, George Ports wrote:

Had a problem with text.........Can't seem to eliminate some hyphens
(- - - - -) that appeared in a couple of measures. It is sorta hard to
explain but, they are from typing in text, I'm sure. Hope I don't have to
re-do the measures all over again. Is there a way to highlight them and
delete somehow?

Hyphens of this sort result from a series of lyrics in which a hyphenated syllable is not followed in the score by the syllable which follows it in the lyrics text. Without going into the gory details, the gist of it is his: The first syllable knows that it is supposed to draw hyphens connected to its partner syllable, but if for whatever reason if never finds that partner, it will just keep drawing hyphens to the end of the page.

If you've entered your lyrics in an orderly way, this should never occur, but unfortunately the sloppy implementation of type-in-score leaves plenty of ways you can get yourself into trouble by entering lyric syllables haphazardly.

For your immediate problem, the way to get rid of the hyphens is to identify the syllable that is originating them. It should be somewhere immediately to the left of the string of hyphens. In lyrics type-in-score mode, select that syllable, then type the space bar. That should make the hyphens disappear.

Depending on how you got into the situation, that might now leave you missing some hyphens that you did want. If that's the case, it's hard to prescribe without seeing the exact situation. Sometimes, the best thing is to clear out all the lyrics and re-enter them. I know some consider that draconian, but if you've munged your lyric data somehow you could be looking at further lyric problems if you don't.

But you should never have to clear out any of the notes. Just the lyrics.

mdl